Inspired by DiY and Dragons,
I have been working up a big goblin compilation post. In the process, I started thinking about
goblins in media. And the internet is
good for lists, so here it is:
- Labyrinth – The Frouds have designed the platonic form of goblins. Except that goblins are by their nature the rejection of such forms.
- Hobbits are not goblins. Gnomes are probably goblins.
- The Wizard of Oz – Almost everything in Oz uses goblin logic. It’s a goblin civilization filled with many non-goblins.
- Oompa-Loompas – Racist goblins. In the movies they’re more quirky dwarves (too competent to be goblins). In Kiel Chenier's version they’re goblins.
- Gremlins – If these aren’t goblins, then goblins are just weak orcs. They are definitely goblins. Check out the Institute of Gremlins 2 Studies for deep thoughts on the meaning of goblins.
- Muppets – Muppet monsters are goblins. Most of the unnamed Muppet Show performers are goblins.
- World of Warcraft goblins – Some of the best goblins, although a bit one note. I believe you can play through the goblin starter zone for free to get the feel for them.
- Goblin Slayer – Edgelord goblins. Goblins are most interesting when there is tension between whimsy and sociopathy.
- Warhammer 40k – Gretchins are kobolds, not goblins (kobolds are marked by sniveling and working). The football hooligan orcs (c.f. the Dawn of War game) are basically beefy goblins.
- Skaven – Evil, ratty goblins.
- Kakamora (coconut monsters) from Moana – Excellent goblins, riding a fabulous goblin ship.
- The Princess and the Goblin/The Princess and Curdie – Yes, goblins.
- Tolkien - Weak orcs.
- Rankin-Bass Tolkien - Gobliny orcs.
- Peter Jackson's Tolkien - That's definitely a goblin king.
- BoxTrolls – Every character in this movie is a goblin except for the boy and the generic townsfolk.
- Podlings – Not goblins. Lack sarcasm and irony. They’re better halflings.
- Ewoks – Same. Actually, if you played up the human-eating bits, they might be goblins.
- Smurfs – Not goblins, too rationalized. May have been goblins at one point, before excessive drug use and utopian experiments.
- Trolls (Justin Timberlake movie) – Unredeemed Bergens are goblins.
- Dr. Seuss – Seuss’s furry creatures are not really goblins, but the machines are absolutely goblin tech.
I am happy to throw down on
any of these points, or accept further suggestions.
Some observations from this
list: Goblins are small and many. Goblins are generally destructive. Goblins employ goblin logic. In the next post, I’ll survey goblins in the
RPG space.

I like the distinction you've drawn between "goblin-goblins" and "small orcs". I'm curious what you think of Pathfiinder's goblins!
ReplyDeleteI think you're right that "Labyrinth" has like the Platonic ideal of a certain kind of goblin. I also think of Maleficent's horde from Disney's "Sleeping Beauty". I've also seen Trey from From the Sorcerer's Skull singing the praises of "GURPS Goblins" for this kind of thing as well - it might be up your alley.